This blog's mission is simple--to encourage moms who are married to non-Catholics and raising their children in the Faith. If you know a mom who needs a little encouragement in continuing her efforts, I would be delighted if you would share Kathleen's Catholic with her. Thank you!

Monday, February 22, 2010

King of His Domain

by Kathleen Blease

He was in full regalia, this king of his domain. Each and every visitor was met by his salute. His name was Tom, and he guarded his kingdom with fervor and zest. Tom greeted me as I turned into the dairy farm’s driveway, waddling behind the car, calling out “Halt, who goes there?” By the time I reached the end, he quickly made an about face and returned to his post, perhaps to meet the next intruder.



(photo source: Vestaldesign.com)

I went into the store, purchased jumbo eggs, meat, and milk. On my way out, a little cat met me, and I bent down to scootch his ears. While putting the packages in my car, I noticed a little white egg a hen had deposited in the snow right next to the back tire.

I hopped in, turned the car around (mindful of the egg), and was met by his majesty at the driveway. Tom rushed my SUV head on, puffed up, noisy and nosy, strutting his stuff. I stopped and he came along side the car. I pushed the gas pedal, and the king bird ran along side me, waddling, as his feathers were out in full suit and armor, his chin curled over his massive breast.

A little more gas. By the time I peered out the window, his suit of armor was half its former size. He was in streamline mode. Smooth as silk. His neck extended out as far as it could reach, his beak leading the way. He was in full stride! Chaaaarge!! His face was bright blue, and his eyes were focused straight ahead, set on the finish line. Oh my, he was in his glory! At the end of the driveway, he fluffed his feathers again, puffed up, curled his chin back, and began gobblin' his command: “Away with you! Away with you!”

What a beauty!

When I got home and pulled into the driveway, a little black-capped chickadee landed on the birdfeeder next to the car. He puffed up his plumage and with a loud and raspy “chick-a-dee-dee-dee!” barked his command: “Away with you! Away with you!”

All creatures great and small, the Lord God made them all! God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are warmly welcome to share your thoughts. Please do so, and feel free to share your links! If you are enjoying this post, won't you please consider linking it to your blog, twitter, or Facebook page? Let's help spread the good news of our Catholic Faith, but please remember that these items are copyrighted to Kathleen Blease. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...