This blog's mission is simple--to encourage moms who are married to non-Catholics and raising their children in the Faith. If you know a mom who needs a little encouragement in continuing her efforts, I would be delighted if you would share Kathleen's Catholic with her. Thank you!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

From the Bird & Nature Journal: Ruby-Throated Hummingbird Meets Maybelline

by Kathleen Blease

Photo copyright: Roger L. Blease
Our Maybelline as a kitten. She is now about three years old,
but her expression of wonderment is the same when she
is faced with something new. The hummingbird, on the other
hand, seemed undaunted by her presence.
A female ruby-throated hummingbird has been visiting us every morning. At wee-hours this morning, she came right up to the kitchen picture window where our cat, Maybelline, was sitting. They regarded each other nose-to-nose, and May seemed a little stunned by the encounter. Her eyes were as big as pies.


The hummingbird then spent some time skimming over the hew shrub outside the window. It seemed to me that she was touchig each evergreen needle with her beak. Then it occured to me that at such an early hour, the shrub must have been a ready supply of dew, a perfect refreshment for the little bird.

Every day, I see her return to the majestic maple that hunkers over the pond, so I'm assuming that she has placed her nest there. I can't wait for the day when one of those little hummers builds a nest close to the house, someplace where we can enjoy watching her tend to her brood.

Just one more note about the hummers: Last year, as I was wrestling with knee-high weeds in the garden, I heard a loud and low buzzing right next to my ear. It scared the dickens out of me, and in my whimpy way I froze, afraid I might be in jeopardy of being stung by those nasty and agressive hornets. I straightened up ever so slowly to find a female hummer observing me, hovering then moving up and down. It must have been my orange T-shirt that attracted her. It was a great joy to come eye-to-eye with the little darling. However, it also gave me an appreciation for just how long and sharp those little beaks are!

Visit the Bird & Natural Journal for more joyful observations (and some not so joyful) about God's amazing creation.

God bless!

1 comment:

  1. I love hummingbirds! They used to visit the honeysuckle vine at our last house, but only in the spring. Once when Ricardo and I were backpacking in the Three Sisters Wilderness Area in Oregon, I had an experience like yours. I was wearing a red and white hat, and was checked out by hummers every day on that trip. Thanks for bringing back that memory for me.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly welcome to share your thoughts. Please do so, and feel free to share your links! If you are enjoying this post, won't you please consider linking it to your blog, twitter, or Facebook page? Let's help spread the good news of our Catholic Faith, but please remember that these items are copyrighted to Kathleen Blease. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...