This blog's mission is simple--to encourage moms who are married to non-Catholics and raising their children in the Faith. If you know a mom who needs a little encouragement in continuing her efforts, I would be delighted if you would share Kathleen's Catholic with her. Thank you!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Nessun Dorma, "No Man Shall Sleep"



Catholic writer and fellow homeschooling mom, Susie Lloyd, posted Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma on Facebook one day, and it reminded me just how much I love this aria.

Nessun Dorma means "no man will sleep", and it's from Giacomo Puccini's opera Turandot. In 2002, I included its English lyrics in one of my collections of classical poems, which I compiled for Ballantine Books.

Of course, Pavarotti's voice makes the aria super intense, and anyone who listens to it is sure to get goose bumps. But once you know the lyrics, you just might shed a few tears as well, especially if you've ever fallen deeply in love.

Here are the lyrics:

No Man Will Sleep


No man will sleep! No man will sleep!
You, too, oh Princess,
In your virginal room,
Watch the stars
Trembling with love and hope!


But my secret lies hidden within me,
No-one shall discover my name!
Oh no, I will reveal it only on your lips
When daylight shines forth!
And my kiss shall break
The silence that makes you mine!

Depart, on night! Set, you stars!
Set, you stars! At dawn I shall win!
I shall win! I shall win!

Giacomo Puccini
(1858-1924)

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are warmly welcome to share your thoughts. Please do so, and feel free to share your links! If you are enjoying this post, won't you please consider linking it to your blog, twitter, or Facebook page? Let's help spread the good news of our Catholic Faith, but please remember that these items are copyrighted to Kathleen Blease. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...